Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nightline to be canceled and replaced by late night tabloid.

If your worried that Nightline will be canceled and replaced with a late night tabloid news program, your worries are over. It's already happened. They just didn't give it a new name so that loyal nightline viewers would be sucked inthe the programing change without even knowing there was a change.  The change in faces was obvious, but loyal viewers had hoped that the new reporters would maintain the high quality of reporting that Ted Kopel held. They didn't. Martin Bashirs calm delivery with his sophisticated accent fools us into thinking we are listening to a serious and intellectual news program, but the material is becoming more and more lowbrow.

Last nights program hit a new low with a report on a medium who talks to the dead. Is this serious news reporting? It certainly isn't the kind of news that I tune to Nightline to hear. Regardless of whether this report portray this medium to be the real deal or not, I can never trust such report to be nothing more than staged theatrics. When I stand face to face with a person who can present irrefutable proof to me that she has contacted the dead, then maybe I can believe this is real. But any presentation on TV is not to be trusted to be anything more than smoke and mirrors.

The truth be told, I after seeing the opening blurb, I didn't stay to watch the program and I will continue to not watch it unless they can put on some programming worth watching and address the issues the way good old Ted Koppel did.

No comments: